Tuesday, January 11, 2011

DETOX Time

Happy New year everyone!!!!

It's that time of year AGAIN!  It's time to clean house, reorganize, and prepare for another detox.
I am looking forward to freshening up and re-energizing my body and my mind.  I always feel so much better and a little lighter on my feet. I detox twice a year... during the month of January and the month of August.  After the holidays and after the summer.  Or when the kids prepare to head back to school.  I always detox my family too.  This helps me to stay on track and reminds them to practice good habits too.  My great grandmother use to give me a teaspoon of BLACK DRAW!!!  I never knew what this was but I trusted her and I always felt better after I got past the taste and swallowed IT down with a chaser of orange juice.  I'll have to call home to North Carolina to ask a few relatives what the HECK is Black Draw? Another thing that grand mu gave me was Castor oil... Everyone should remember CASTOR OIL!  However for my children I simply adjust their diets by removing those things that often slip in by way of birthday parties, social gatherings, holiday time, and after school activities.

Detox...
 is important!  Our bodies need a break from the toxins we consume on a daily basis due to our environment. Often times we struggle with health issues that can be associated with our environment.  We feel run down and exhausted for no reason at all.  This can cause a domino effect to our systems and our life style and harm relationships because we are irritable, short tempered, and forgetful.

Foods...
lacking in nutrition... It seems as though we can't trust our most valued and basic resources anymore!  Refined sugars and so much processed foods have dominated our world... It takes so much effort to locate REAL food these days... Living Food.  It seems that now we have to grow it ourselves in-order to feel safe about what we are putting in our mouths. Chicken is not chicken anymore.  Eggs are feared if they are not cage free.  Produce must be Organic!!!

Hormones, Steroids and Pesticides have replaced our REAL food and we now eat process foods most of the time.  Because of this we are left feeling bloated and constipated.  Our bodies need relief.  Its time to STOP ignoring the signals... Stop making excuses.  Stop diagnosing ourselves.... I have heard all sorts of explanations for these feelings.  Things like.... We're just getting older.  That excuse really annoys me.  There is no proof that getting older should result in unwanted body fat and puffy and dull eyes followed by clogged colons and unnecessary diabetes.  And that is just a few side effects of not paying attention to what is happening to bodies and food.

I have been detoxing for a few years.  I started paying attention when my 2nd son was born.  By the time he was a year old he suffered from a few mild allergies.  Eczema was the biggest allergy.  My third son had a few deficiencies too.  His health issues caused me to commit even more.  My oldest son suffered from Bronchiole/Asthma. My youngest is my daughter.  She showed no signs of allergies until we relocated back to the East Coast.  She too has Eczema like my second son and Bronchiole/Asthma, like my oldest son.  Because our family is sensitive to food, dust, certain trees, plants, and certain chemicals it is important to pay attention to our environment and how we nurture ourselves and how we teach our children to take care of themselves. That is why I am always on the look out for healthy ideas to add to our lives.

About 2 years ago I discovered  Gwyneth Paltrows website. www.goop.com  I love her website.  (I would encourage you all to visit her site.) Gwyneth introduced me to The Clean Program by Dr. Alejandro Junger... www.cleanprogram.com The Clean Program is a detox menu that I have followed for the last 2 years. This January will mark 2 years for me.   Make sure to check with your own doctor before starting or making any changes to your diet.  This will be my 4th time doing the 14 day cleanse.  The kids will use a few of the suggested cleanse recipes like the shakes, soups, and salmon to add to their daily diet. They will not follow this plan as closely as my husband and I will. They will also eat all organic and drink purified water but that is the extent of there detox.  There is also a mini 3 day Cleanse for those starting out for the 1st time and just want to give it a trial run and take things slow.  I hope for those of you considering a detox plan for the 1st time, find this information helpful and hopeful.  If you need a little incentive... Detoxing has also been known to help with weight loss!!!    

Bluberry Almond Smoothie

SERVES: 1
TIME: 5 minutes

  • 1 scoop of a complete nutritional, whey protein fortified powder (not soy protein)
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1 scoop of a ProGreens type of powder (preferably with probiotics)
  • 1 1/2 cups almond milk

Blend everything together.
       

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forard to hearing from you all about your wonderful and healthy food ideas...
    I have become such a foodie as of late... within the last 5-7 years now. I used to think that I practiced healthy eating, I had so much more to learn and food has changed so much!

    ReplyDelete